Thursday, February 9, 2017

Lima

Buenos tardes,

Lima, the "city of kings" was nothing short of impressive. I spent 5 days and 4 nights there, and had an incredible time. I arrived in the early morning, after taking two overnight buses from Guayaquil and getting a Peruvian stamp on my passport. This left me with two softball-sized ankles, but I was excited regardless to see this city that I had heard SO many wonderful things about. I washed my mildew-scented clothes, showered, power napped, then began to meet the other people staying in my hostel. I met two super rad Auzzies, one of which had been on a city tour earlier that day, and she orchestrated a group from that tour and a group from our hostel to go to a laser fountain show. I went along with it, and after a super sweaty bus ride to the national stadium, we arrived at the water park. It was touristy as hell but we loved it. A huge show with pictures projected onto the spray ensued, and after the show we proceeded through the park until we found a path lined with bars. Apparently, we chose to hit the town on "national pisco sour weekend," which we were immediately roped into. Pisco is to Peruvians what vodka is to Russians, and the locals loved watching the gringos throw back. We danced, ate some amazing street food, and then went to central Miraflores, (the neighborhood our hostel was in,) and danced the night away to ACTUAL dancing music! What a concept! None of the bump and grind bs in the clubs at home. It was refreshing to say the least.

The following day, I chose to take it on the easier side. I managed to stave off a hangover, but wanted a me-day regardless. I journaled, blogged, napped, and went for a little walk around Miraflores. I continued the treat-yo-self mentality, and went out to dinner with the Auzzies at a nicer restaurant, which was delicious and the sunset backdrop complimented it perfectly. Super boujie, I know, but I'm ok with it.

Day 3 was a day full of personal adventure. I wandered along the street that boardered the ocean until it gave into a tangled highway system. Then, I walked along the beach until boom. I had entered Barrancos. This colorful neighborhood had the feel of a beach town, but all of the infrastructure and things you would expect to find in a big city. This is a completely different neighborhood than Miraflores, which is a bit on the nicer side, and feels more like a financial district full of trophy wives than anything else. I had an amazing lunch in Barrancos for dirt cheap, explored the vast collection of murals, and took a 30 cent bus back home. When I got back, I met a few Peruvian guys who used to work at my hostel, and played jenga with them for a while. They were so cool and very patient with my broken spanish, as are many of the local people I have met so far. I hung out with them and a few of their friends who were equally kind and hospitable, and we talked about everything from Peruvian cuss words to American politics. Great night overall.

After a second me-day, which I figured was affordable in a big city, I met a few girls from Greece in my hostel and we went to the historical district and back to Barrancos. We met a guy from southern Lima, and a girl from Muckleteo (PNW BABY, YEAH!) who joined us, and ended up serving as tour guides. It was a rad day overall, and I plan on meeting up with my lovely Greek goddesses when I get to Cusco.

Lima was both a relaxing and exciting place, but I am excited to get out of the big city environment for a while. I am currently in Ayacucho, which is smack dab between Lima and Cusco, and will blog about it upon leaving.

Hope you all are having an awesome day, and I can't wait to see you all soon! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment