Thursday, January 19, 2017

"Es un día muy especial"

¡Buenos días de Tababela, Ecuador!

I am currently seated in a hostel several miles from the Mariscal Sucre airport, I have showered (finally), and I am ready to start documenting. The last flight I was on, from Fort Lauderdale to Ecuador, was an incredible glimpse into the culture I've entered. 90% of those on the flight were native Spanish speakers, and many came in families. Everything was going smoothly until about an hour from Quito, when the flight attendant asked if anyone on board was a nurse or doctor. Looking up, I saw a circle of women using magazines to furiously fan whoever was in the middle. To say I felt like a clueless American tourist at this time would be  an understatement. Those around me left their seats despite turbulence to bring whatever they thought would be helpful to the circle, and after several minutes the circle disappeared and all was calm once more. Once the plane landed, everyone around me began to applaud. I have never seen a cabin of U.S. passengers applaud upon landing. The sense of gratitude and community was palpable, and in that moment I knew that this is exactly where I need to be. Despite feeling clumsy, nervous, and out of place, I feel excited and, and I know that my ignorance and "American tourist" feeling will morph as I am exposed to a culture where my personal way of life is not dominant.

In the spirit of gratitude, I would like to public ally thank my family and friends for their overwhelming support, as I would not be here without it. The hostel I'm staying in has a lovely garden, with a sign saying "es un día muy especial." To me, this could not feel more relevant. Today is a special day, as are all of the days we are living as our most authentic selves and exploring the world around us. Thank you, and I wish you all a very special day!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hooked. Keep posting. No tengo ninguna duda que te vas a enamorar con sud america y su gente. Disfruta de cada momento y escriba todo lo que puede. Besos.

    ReplyDelete